When victims of a car accident file a personal injury claim, they hope to receive some form of compensation. Money awarded to a claimant can provide funds for medical expenses, for replacing a lost salary and for covering the cost of repairs to the damaged vehicle.
Of course, if an accident victim hopes to enjoy a sizeable monetary award, he or she must have a successful personal injury claim. Unfortunately, the commission of certain mistakes can prevent the acquisition of that desired award. Here are the mistakes to avoid:
• Failing to seek immediate medical attention: You should ask to be taken to a medical facility from the scene of the collision, or else make a point of seeing a doctor as soon as possible, once you get back to your place of residence. Do not assume that you remain uninjured.
• Not following up on medical advice: In most cases, the insurance company expects the accident victim to follow up on any recommendation from the doctor that examined the victim’s condition. If the victim has a should be contacted. In that case, the victim may need to see a specialist.
• Failing to report the accident to your insurance company: As a policy holder, you are expected to report your involvement in any collision.
• Failing to report the collision to any doctor that is seeing either the driver or one of the passengers: If one of the passengers was a child or a teenager, be sure to let the appropriate pediatrician or family doctor know about the collision. Also share information on the child’s state of health at the time of that some accidental occurrence.
• Not limiting the amount of information given to the adjuster that your vehicle to get damaged.
The other things that you can avoid to get compensation include:
Posting your picture on social media networks
Unless the picture shows only your face, and you had no facial injuries, do not post any pictures on any social media networks. You could show that you are engaged in an activity that you have claimed that you cannot do.
Exaggerating your symptoms or physical limitations
A dishonest victim can never expect to win a large award. The insurance company will catch the dishonest answer or comment.
Accepting an early settlement
Do not settle until you and your doctor feel certain that every symptom that could be caused by your injury has made its appearance. Once you have settled a case with the help of Personal Injury Lawyer in Brampton, you cannot seek money for any medical problems that revealed themselves after you had reached an agreement with the insurance company. That is why accident victims are told to avoid accepting an early settlement.