Thousands of people are injured in car accidents or other vehicular collisions every year. Some are fatal while others file claim for compensation. Although in theory, getting damages seems simple but in reality, it is a tedious and complex process. That is why it is important to hire the services of a lawyer to assist with the claim process.

As an accident victim, you are eligible to file for damages based on the accident circumstances:

Claims based on tort: If you were injured due to another individual, you may be entitled to claim for damages. This will include the driver of the other car, owner of the car or even car manufacturer that was negligent and caused you injuries.

Disability Benefits: This is awarded to those with short term or long-term disability due to an accident.

Accident benefits: In addition to other damages, you are eligible to file for accident benefits. These are awarded irrespective of whether you were at fault or not by your insurance company. However, it is essential that you allow a lawyer to represent your rights so that the category is correctly stated when filing for damages.

You tend to suffer from serious and sometimes even life-threatening injuries whenever you’re involved in a car accident. You need to know what steps to take after you’ve been involved in a car accident because there are certain deadlines that you need to meet. You, the passengers, and everyone involved in the car accident are entitled to compensation according to the “No-fault accident benefits” law.

Steps to Take to Claim No-Fault Accident Benefits

● You must notify your insurance company within 7 days of the accident to file a claim.
● You must send the forms your insurance company provides you back completed and signed within 30 days of receiving them
● You’ll have to file an application for mediation within 2 years of the denial date and hire a good lawyer if your initial application was denied.

You are entitled to sue the defendant for pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Just remember that you’ll have to have suffered a permanent physical or mental impairment to get any compensation.

You can sue for lost present and future income if you’re unable to work in your previous capacity after the accident. You may need to hire a good personal injury lawyer in Burlington to determine if your injuries qualify as long-term or permanent. You can also be reimbursed for any in-home care costs you may incur after your accident.

However, trying to do it all on your own might be difficult. You will need the assistance of a good lawyer that will represent you while negotiating with the insurance company.